View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for responding so quickly Bryanna. I think I must have written too quickly and not explained myself. The doctor originally had me on Erythromycin due to allergies to Penicillin and Clindamycin. I haven't had any reaction to that. He extended the prescription becuase I was having some issues and he worried about infection starting. The gauze the on-call doctor put in the hole fell out as soon as I got home. I guess maybe there wasn't enough room for it. I went back 2 days later to see my regular dentist and he said he thought I was having problems because the antibiotic wasn't a "first line of defense" antibiotic line the other two, so it wouldn't work as well. He then told me he thought the worst was over, and I'd be fine. No one ever mentioned my sinuses. The only thing he said was that he had to cut a flap in the gum to find the root tips and that there wasn't enough gum left to stitch, which was his preference.

The bubble seems to have blended in a bit with the socket now, but is still pretty red (actually dark pink). I still have some burning, but it is more towards where the injection was if that makes sense. I have also had a weird taste in my mouth, like salt. But the burning in my sinuses is gone now at least. And it no longer hurts in my throat when I touch the area. That was awful. Now it only hurts when I push on it with my tongue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is finally beginning to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Jessi,

Not all extraction sites require sutures. It all depends on the difficulty of the extraction, the size and depth of the wound and the individual situation. If you develop a dry socket, the wound it packed with a piece of sterile gauze that is impregnated with a medication that smells like clove oil. Generally this dressing would be changed by the dentist once a day for 3-7 days depending on the individual circumstances and the wound would not be sutured closed.

Burning pain is not a typical post op symptom from a tooth extraction unless there is something else causing that pain. Erythromycin is sometimes prescribed for dental issues if the person is allergic to other antibiotics. But if the dentist suspects that the person is having a sensitivity to that medication, it is discontinued. Not sure why your dentist would extend the rx if he thought you were having a problem with it.

The red bubble over the extraction site could be a few different things. One being an allergic reaction to "something" especially since you are feeling a burning sensation elsewhere near that surgical site. But I am concerned that it might be associated with your sinuses. Did either dentist mention a sinus exposure or sinus perforation?? Do you have pressure or pain in your sinuses on that side of your face?

Have you been rinsing with anything other than salt water? That is the only thing you should rinse with as any mouthwash that contains alcohol or chemicals will burn the surgical area and slow the healing process.

I agree, you should be seen by your dentist sooner than next monday. Your symptoms are not typical, especially three weeks out.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Bryanna
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote