View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Heart Sinéad

Hey, this is a great thread idea. I like it when we can discuss these other issues aside from SCS all the time.
Yep, this is what has become of us do to our struggles with chronic pain. But you know, things can always make a turn for the better and we might be able to be more happy with the skin we're in. At least, that's my internalized hope that I carry with me.
The weight gain for instance. Sinead I know exactly what you mean. When I was taking Lyrica, I put on over 40lbs as rapid weight gain. I hated EVERY minute of it....every breath I took, I hated. I was very very uncomfortable in my skin and like you said, couldn't recognize the person staring back at me in the mirror.
Since then, tho, I've been off Lyrica for a couple of yrs and the weight has finally melted off. One thing that really helped me was being put on a thyroid medication due to my slow thyroid (hypothyroid). I think I've asked you this before, but have you had your thyroid checked? If it's underactive, one feels very tired all the time and weight gain is an issue, amongst other things.

I too am on heavy pain meds. Fentanyl and hydrocodone. The patches literally SAVE me from being disabled. If it weren't for them, I would not be able to get too far from my bed.
Between these meds and my back spasm med (Baclofen), I am having a problem with shorterm memory. It gets terribly embarrassing at times and I'm always making stupid mistakes due to forgetfulness.
Case in point: I bought a nice CD player today and it was in the back of my truck. I decided to stop and get gas and I was heading for the carwash and ALMOST went thru it with my new CD player in the back! Thank God my husband realized what I was doing!

So, yes, meds definitely cause side effects.
Maybe it's your meds that are causing your monthly's to be out of whack? I think you're still in your 30's right? So, one would think the 'change of life' wouldn't be starting yet. When I was in my late 30's, I was having alot of female problems and my dr told me that it is possible to start getting some signs of midlife change in some women.

And when I hit 40, EVERYTHING started going to #@&%!

This is all VERY frustrating......and we're all in this together. I think it really helps to bring it up like this and talk about it. Hearing other people share their issues somehow helps us to realize that we aren't alone in this.

Try not to let it consume you. I allowed that to happen to me and I fell into some pretty bad episodes of depression. A good friend said to me "You should try to see yourself the way God sees you"..... a beautiful creature. Let your good qualities and gifts come to the surface and realize that you are much more than what the weight scale is telling you. And like I said, there's a chance that something could be right around the corner that will help us turn ourselves around, such as losing weight and getting better pain management. We must not quit believing!

See yourself the way God sees you, dear Sinead

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-10-2012), ger715 (05-10-2012), Mark56 (05-10-2012), Sophie_ (05-10-2012)