Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Yes, she's always been on my bank accounts and credit cards. See, I
have a short-term memory problem and might forget to balance my
checkbook or pay a bill.

Actually, I think the only way to get my mother's name off of the
accounts and my brother's name on therm is for me to close the
old accounts and open new ones. I'm not positive, but I think
that's how it works. Wouldn't you love having to explain that
to Social Security, my credit card companys, etc.?

As for being "forced out", it may not be much longer-not so
much "forced" to leave, but necessity. See, it's like this:
Raven likes to prowl the neighborhood at 4:00AM. So, of
course, I'm the one she comes to, to be let out. I go out
to the living room...and immediately start having an asthma
attack. Why? Because "Mother Dearest" spent hours sitting
in the living room, reading books and smoking! Did I ever
mention that I have asthma?! We've argued about this many
times. My father and my brother have also argued with her about
it. She refuses to quit. And, my mother wonders why I keep getting
sick! My father suggested that I talk to my doctor
about her smoking and my asthma.

Bottom line: One way or another, I won't be here much longer...
I used to balance my checkbook once a week, but I don't use one anymore!
Why do they all want to have your brothers' name on your account? Is it a kind of like "just incase" type thing that if you got sick (incompasitated, ie shunt problems) and needed money for something he'll be a back-up. (If that is the only reason, that "sort of" makes sense. (I am NOT on your parents side with this, but in a twisted small way, it "sort of" makes sense. (That is someone being able to be there to access money you need if you get slammed with a catastrophic shunt issue. (I don't know. ) (Maybe that is why it happened to me, you know, a "just in case" scenario-type thing.)

By all means, talk to your dr about your mom's smoking. I bet you the seccond hand smoke can't be good. However, there is a "positive" twist about smoking I am sure you are well aware of.

Rumor has it, the insane taxes added to cigarettes, go to help the system. It's true. I heard it on the news a very long time ago. (Gee. They should combine all the governmental funding programs and figure out who is on what and divide the funds equally.... (I'm talking everything. SS. Medicare, Medicaid... yadda, yadda....)

Oh yeah, I am not sure if this is going to go against what you are saying about "somehow being put on your brothers insurance plan" and how you don't understand how it can happen since you have a "pre-existing condition" as what is is called, I think HIPAA does that, as long as you have had a certin ammount of "creditable coverage" or something like that, I don't remember the term, it can slide over. (I think.)

I know this much because I spent a long time trying to figure this one out because my mom said Something about getting me on her health insurance. (She was looking into it, but I am not mad at her for suggesting it, in fact if something like that happens, I will be THRILLED because I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT WILLINGLY walk away from perhaps the greatest neursurgeon in the upper midwest. (Indiana. I was lucky with this because my mom worked (and still works) in Indiana) when I was a kid/teenager.)

I haven't brought up the HIPAA (health insurance portability and accountability act established in 1996(?)) yet, but I want to, het if it gets me off the medicaid system. I am all for it because I am NEVER sick and there are people who are really sick who don't get it. )

I think I have the link to that page somewhere, just ask for it. I wish you luck. Keep in touch.
sjp_fanatic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote