View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Olsen,
Has your husband tried applying for a DBS study at the NIH / NINDS ? They might have more liberal criteria for participants. They are currently recruiting for a study – Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery for Movement Disorders -- the clinicaltrials.gov record is at:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01581580

When I was at the NIH last year for another study I talked to some of the clinicians who were also working on the DBS study, and they and I thought it might be a good option for me. They use more advanced techniques and equipment than our local neurosurgical center can provide and they complete the electrode implantation surgery in one session; also provide good follow-up care and adjustments . The NIH covers all medical expenses, plus traveling expenses, hotel and food for the participant and a care giver. I decided not to have dbs surgery at this time, but if I did I would have seriously considered this option. A member of our support group did participate in this study last year and he had only good things to say about the medical team and the care he received . He said he’s doing well. One more thing to consider though is that at this time, if you have dbs , that will probably exclude you from joining gene therapy studies . Lots of decisions…
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote