View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark, thank you so much for your response, and for being so specific! After 2 years of this, and no real help from medical world, I've been feeling pretty desperate. Also, I'm a severe abuse & torture survivor, and so I'm used to enduring and trying to ignore my body, which is what I tried to do for those two years after they told me they couldn't do anything. But I've really been noticing how much this affects me.

I keep cancelling meetings with friends because I'm too dizzy, headachey, exhausted, or depressed, or all of those. I keep getting severely depressed often; it's dramatically increased since my concussion. (I used to get depressed on/off from the abuse/torture and PTSD, but I've been realizing how much worse it is now--especially when I have a lot of good in my life and had been feeling happier than I'd ever been before the concussion.)

I don't know for sure why I blacked out--the drs couldn't find a reason--but it happened for me three times (the concussion was the third time). The first, I had a friend catch me (or I would have gone down stairs), and the second a friend was also with me. I think now it might have been the metformin I was on (I was pre-diabetes). I'd gotten my weight and sugar down at that point... (weight now being back up after not being able to exercise in so long, and emotional eating the first 6 months).

I am vegetarian, and I'm trying to eat very healthy (following Perfect 10 diet). Low-ish carbs, lots of vegetables and fresh food, regular-fat dairy, no artificial crap (I wish I'd never listened to the dietician about sucralose being an alternative; i had way too much for about two years), organic when I can afford (which isn't often), and some supplements. Though I can't always stick to that completely. I try to take flax oil which has the omegas in it, coral calcium (helps with oxygenation and also my depression). I don't drink coffee or alcohol, don't smoke. BUT for a while i was taking a lot of sucralose through food (No more!) My weakness is carbs and sugar. Trying to have fruit and dark chocolate when I give in (for sweets).

I so appreciate your mentioning specific supplements and amounts; thank you!

I tried a number of cranial sacral treatments. There may have been a very slight help, I *think* I felt a little bit better. This was early on, maybe the first 6-8 months. IT was expensive... and money is tight. BUT my health is important to me, and if I can find something that helps, I want to go for it. (But I also don't want to throw my money away.)

But I was talking about cranial adjustments. When I searched alternative therapy for post-concussive, it's one of the first things that popped up, AND the guy I found (Dr Roger Turner) has treated a number of NHL players with concussions successfully. I asked him in an email, and he said he's never had someone with a concussion that he "hasn't been able to help considerably." So I'm still really considering that as an option. It's like a chiropractor but for the head...

HBOT was interesting to me, but 40-80 treatments? That must be so expensive. (sighing)

That's interesting to me about the neck. My neck and jaw frequently feel too tight and (I know I shouldn't but) I crack them--I turn my head and it relieves the pressure a bit.

I did seek medical care immediately--upon finding I was lying on the floor with no idea how I got there; I don't remember falling at all--and then again when the dizziness, loss of balance, headaches started a week later. That's when they said post-concussive. Also, since i'm a severe abuse survivor and it's such a familiar feeling, I have a feeling I probably had a number of concussions as a child. But of course there are no medical records to prove that.

I have been noticing that when I overwork, or put on an event, or even go to an event, I get hit with higher, harder levels of dizziness (to the point where I'm lying down a lot and it feels like the bed is moving), headaches, loss of balance, loss of words, foggy brain (I feel like I'm thinking through molasses when it's really bad), way increased depression, etc, from a few days to a few weeks. This is my second or third week of that after going to line dancing class (where we moved very slowly) AND going to a friend's book launch. I feel like I'm not living my life, what with missing so many meetings with friends, so many work-related meetings (I'm self-employed), and not being able to do so many things.

Plus my doctor dismissing me, not being of help. I do have a neurologist appointment now for a second opinion, but he told my dr he couldn't see anything in the CAT scan and doesn't think he can help me. Argh.

thanks so much for your reply and support; I so appreciate it!

Cheryl
CherylR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote