View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to neurotalk! I hope we can help you find some ways to cope with or overcome what you are having to deal with.

In addition to the supplements Mark mentioned, I also take BCAA's because there is research about it being able to help people recover from concussions being conducted. And I take Acetyl L- Carnitine based on advice I received from this forum. My acupuncturist advised me to start taking CDP Choline, Phosphatydlserine and D-Ribose and my neurologist agreed that they were all a good idea.

My neurologist recommended that I get daily shots of B12 because that B vitamin is most important when recovering from a brain injury. (She also recommends taking a good B Complex.) Since I can't get daily shots (no one in my household can administer them to me and I'm not allowed to give them to myself) she recommended that I take B12 sublingually, which I do.

I have also benefitted from energy healing. There are many different kinds out there. Healing Touch in particular is often covered by insurance companies these days. I'm an energy healer and I know countless energy healers and I've been getting energy healings continuously since the accident I was in.

I benefited from speech therapy. I was having a lot of speech issues and I still am, but a lot of speech therapy is designed for treatment of cognitive issues and I found that it helped improve my speech and cognitive functioning - such as word finding, wrong words being used, etc.. If I could get a ride, I would still be going. My speech therapist recommended that I do crosswords at home which I do. And to remember to use diaphragmatic breathing to help increase oxygen to the brain.

Light exercise, like short/gentle walks, yoga, chi gong or tai chi might help give your brain more oxygen to help it to continue to heal itself as well. A lot of "concussion clinics" slowly increase a person's activity levels but only do so when they experience no symptoms - so if you experience dizziness from walking around the block, walk only half of that for a few weeks and then increase it only if you don't experience dizziness when walking.

I also see a behavioral therapist who understands what a serious injury can do to a person's life. I was looking for someone who specialized in brain injury, but the ones in my area were all overbooked. I find a great deal of relief talking with her once a week about the challenges I face everyday as a result of one concussion that I sustained almost two years ago.

I was doing acupuncture for several months and although it did reduce the pain I was experiencing, I didn't find any other benefits from it, and it was very expensive so I stopped getting the treatments. The pain I was in when I started greatly reduced with the help of it and some physical therapy.

I'm currently going through a treatment called The Bowen Technique and I've found that it's helped me quite a bit. The idea behind it is that the practitioner manipulates the patient's body in a way that then allows the body to heal itself. Only a limited amount of treatments are given, and it depends on the level of trauma the body has received. I am going to get my fourth treatment this Friday and I think that one or the fifth will be the last one I will need to get. It has improved the feeling of my body a significant amount and that has improved my mood a great deal as well.

After the accident I was in, I got VERY dizzy and even experienced vertigo on a few occasions. It was awful. I still experience dizziness and a swimmy feeling in my head. It is most uncomfortable and disconcerting. It keeps me from being more active and I dislike it. But it has improved since it first began. I'm hopeful, that someday it will go away entirely.

One member here, Ewoyn, recommended something called Vision Therapy after she went through it herself. It's supposed to help people who have suffered a concussion realign their eye functioning with their brains. All those nerves are very delicate and easily damaged with a concussion. Most doctors believe that those things will fix themselves in time, and maybe they will, but after two years why not get a little push with some vision therapy? I recently read in a book called "Brainlash" that it helped the author who has a PHD and had to recover from an mTBI that it helped her a great deal to reduce the fatigue and dizziness she was experiencing. If I remember correctly, she didn't start it until years after the injury she sustained too. I've had a lot of weird vision phenomena since the accident I was in and I plan on scheduling an evaluation as soon as I'm done with the Bowen Therapy. Maybe it can help you with the pixilated vision you are experiencing?
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nightnurse30 (05-10-2012), pretdou (05-26-2012)