Thread: PCS Treatment
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. Much of what has helped me to recover has come from this board. I'm also lucky that I have a great PCP who knew me before the injury I sustained and a very good neurologist.

I am unsure about what multi-vitamins to recommend. I purchase a proprietary blend from a co-op in Santa Monica. I would prefer to be able to purchase some from online, because it would be easier for me, but there is so much contradictory advice about vitamins that I just keep getting them from the co-op; they've been working great for me.

Personally, I prefer to eat organic, non-GMO foods. So if I had to look for a brand of vitamins - that's probably where I would start.

I take a sublingual liquid B12 daily in addition to the B-Complex vitamin I take on the recommendation of my neurologist. She would really like me to get shots of B12 every day, but no one in my house can administer them to me.

I take Barlean's Organic Flax Oil for my Omegas. I would prefer to take Udo's Oil, because it tastes better, but I'm allergic to sesame seeds so I can't.

Which reminds me, that if you are allergic to something, you should avoid it as much as possible. Systemic allergic responses create inflammation and toxins in the brain which are counter-productive to its healing.

On that note, anti-oxidants are supposed to be the holy grail of food for the brain. And there's research being conducted that BCAA's are helpful for brain injury recovery. I take a lot of additional supplements... if I were you I would try seeing where you get with the basics before starting to spend a lot of extra money on more supplements... they can be pricey! There are a lot of threads on this board about this or that...

I recommend going through the stickies at the top of this forum to find some interesting links and info.

And just by the by... there is a blog written by someone who said it took her 4-5 years before she felt pretty "normal" after one concussion. My own PCP could only recently tell me that based on the recovery I've made so far since the injury I sustained, she believes that I will return to my "normal" someday - but that it will take more time. I suffered a complex concussion and before recently, the prognosis was always, "we'll just have to see...". And it's been about 22 months for me since the accident I was in that gave me the concussion. Experts and researchers all tend to agree that the people who make the best recoveries are the ones who are very motivated to get better, the stubborn ones who refuse to resign themselves the level of decreased functioning that the concussions caused them to have. So, try to hang onto as much hope as you have. Not only will it make you feel better most of the time, but it will also motivate you to keep getting better.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedJ (05-10-2012), THerzog41 (05-10-2012)