View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you en bloc for your reply.

I have persistent shortness of breath and tightness in my neck (specifically the sternocleidosmastoid muscles). I used to have asthma but my last attack was in 1982. The shortness of breath has been on and off for 2 years now (more on "on"). This last 3 or 4 months, my breathing has become more difficult. I dont normally have wheezing and I dont have cough at all. I rarely experience wheezing. I had PFT in 2008 and 2010 - both normal. I had a CT scan of my chest and was also normal.

My ANA consists of the following tests: (most of which I dont understand, but the important thing is they are all negative)
1. Anti-DNA (DS) Ab Qn
2. RNP Antibodies
3. Smith Antibodies
4. Antiscleroderma-70 Antibodies
5. Sjorgren's Anti-SS-A
6. Sjorgren's Anti-SS-B
7. Antichromatin Antibodies
8. Anti-Jo-1
9. Anti-Centromere B Antibodies

Well, in 2010, I had eye discharge for many months, they found an inflammation in my right lacrimal gland. The optha got a specimen from the gland for biopsy. Thank God, it was normal. After that, right eye has become very dry. The doctor said that both my eyes are dry (but I dont experience discomfort with my left eye). The only prescribed medicines I am on now are Synthroid and Gabapentin and of course Restasis and Fresh Kote. I am taking a whole bunch of supplements which are recommended in this forum.

Do you think sarcoidoisis can be seen in CT scan, if the lungs are affected?

I dont have dry mouth. I am wearing a bridge and I have dental fillings for most of my remaining teeth.

Definitely, I always feel tired. I associate my tiredness to the PN pain. But I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
If you don't have dry mouth, then you may not have lymphocytic infiltrates in the salivary glands...thus not Sjogren's, but one of the other AI diseases. Joint pain, fatigue, etc are common with several of the AI diseases. I don't remember what 'lung issues' you have (it's not detailed in this thread), but lung issues are also common in sarcoidosis. Of course lung issues like asthma, could just be independent and not related to your problem.

Could your dry eyes be a result of meds you take? Even simple allergy meds (benadryl) can cause dry eyes.

I will say that, (although uncommon), there are patients who don't have overly dry mouth (but it's usually at least minimally dry) and still test positive for Sjogren's (whether blood or lip biopsy). So it could still be possible to have a + lip biopsy. But since you sound like it's not dry at all, I would exhaust other AI diseases or other causes in general first before undergoing a lip biopsy.

Just curious... 1) what lung issues are you talking about? 2) do you have dry mouth at all or lots of cavities?

Wish I could be of more help, but your case doesn't sound typical or jump out at any particular disease. The dry eyes certainly go with Sjogren's, but odd without the dry mouth.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote