View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 2012 and my search for a TOS DOC

Jan 2012
I made an appt with Dr. Williams at kerlan Jobe. He took one look at my shoulders and my disc mri and said he was guessing I have TOS.He sent me to Pasadena to have a Brachial Plexus MRI. The MRI showed some neural Edema , a large suprclavicular vein and possible TOS. Dr. W prescribed physical therapy and a posture shirt. By the way Dr. W has a financial stake in Alignmed which make the postureshirts. I told him I wanted a scalene block thinking at that time it would be the cure I needed. He said okay and gave me info on their surgery center with no other info . He also has a financial stake in the surgery center at Kerlan Jobe. Even though they took my insurance I did not feel comfortable with the amount of info I was getting. He didnt like too many questions and I am miss question answer. When i found out I would have to be sedated I decided that wasnt my first choice of treatment and went on my quest for a good TOS doc.

Went to Dr. Filler based on their website. He spent alot of time with me and confirmed the TOS diagnosis. He said my middle scalene was the culprit and my long thoracic nerve was involved. Told me about his fancy MR Neurography machine and if that didnt work he does scalenectomy at Cedars. Cost -MR Neurography $15,000 out of network so I would have been lucky if my insurance would pay any of it. They have a sales pitch and showed me the machine downstairs in the basement. When I got home I went online and most of the reviews are bad. There is also a fight going on btween dr. F and a former patient that you can read. After a couple of people warned me about him I decided this wasnt the one.

Started seeing Joyce Wilkinsin PT. I like her alot seems to know what she is doing. I am still seeing her but my visist are almost running out.

Went to see Dr. Carden a pain doc at the D.I.S.C. center, He is a well renownd RSD doc and has worked with alot of athletic teams .This was the most Bizarre experience. He told me I was doing to much research, didnt know what I was talking about,disbelieved the TOS diagnosis, gave me a sympathetic nerve block right there in the office and said I should get a spinal epidural,went ahead and ordered it from my insurance without asking me,got hostile when I asked for my records. Very aggressive and Condescending.

Finally,got into see Dr. Jordan and knew he was the one,even though he is cash only. He spends an hour asnwering my questions. His scalene block that he does in the office was 3500 as compared with Dr. F's 15000. Plus Dr. J explained that MR neurogrphy is outdated and what he does with ultrasound is much better because it is live. I am still waiting to see how much my insurance will cover.

With Dr. Jordan since Feb- I did

Scalene Block Injection-
It came back Positive ,but i'm not convinced since I wasnt in alot of pain to begin with.
Botox injections-
Bad reaction for 2 weeks then about a month of some releif,now symptoms are returning
Trigger Pt. Injections_
heped in a few muscles not much releif

Now Dr. J is recommending Brachial Plexus Nerve Block Injections or Facet injections in case some of the pain is coming from the facet joints.
Am still trying to decide if I want to do either of these. Bringing back the disk problem I've been ignoring is making me question all my decisions so far. I wish someone could just tell me where the pain is coming from!!!I decided I need more info so I go back to see Dr. J on May 17 and will bring my Disc MRI since I dindt have it last time. Every visit is $200.

Also in Feb, found out that a dr at Orthohealing ,Dr. Aufiero is covered under my insurance. Orthohealing is the famous place in Santa Monica with Dr. Sampson .Dr. A is Sampsons associate Dr. I like her alot and she is easier to make appts with a little more alternative than Dr. J.

She also spent alot of time with me and she and dr. J know eachother and respect eachother.

Dr. A gave me:
Amino Acids and Anti-inflammatory diet for Inflammation
The Spinal Q Brace which I finally just got and is great.
Neuropathy Cream from a homeopathic pharmacy
Recommended Trying Neural Prolotherapy if the botox or TRPS dont work.

Jan-April 2012

Dr. Williams/Kerlan Jobe
Dr. Filler
Dr. Carden at D.I.S.C.-
Dr. Jordon-Jackpot!
Dr. Aufiero -Orthohealing Jackpot #2
Joyce Wilkinson P.T. Jackpot #3
Dr. Raj-Trigger pt Massage.-Tried twice jury is still out

Okay enough Typing. Next : Surgeons and second opinions on injections
jkl626 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote