Thread: Vision Changes
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I definitely believe that your concussion probably caused the change in prescription.

I've read that a lot of vision issues can ensue due to a concussion. The optic nerves and the neural pathways that the brain uses to process the information given to it from them are quite delicate. I've had to deal with a lot of weird visual phenomena myself since the concussion I sustained. Luckily, my prescription did not change due to the concussion that I am recovering from. (I got lasik surgery a few years ago and I'm still 15/20!)

Like Mark In Idaho always says, "Once you've seen one brain injury, you've seen one brain injury!"

The brain is very complex and many of its intricate parts can be affected by a concussion. Even "knowledgeable" professionals might not understand or know of all the intricacies that can be effected by a concussion; there is still so much to learn.

So professionals like your Optometrist who have even seen patients with brain injuries can be surprised. And they can definitely be wrong. It's just been his experience that hormones can change a prescription, so that's what he's going to go with. He probably hasn't even had a lot of patients with a brain injury. Maybe he doesn't even know how many of them have had brain injuries - some people don't even tell others about having them because it's embarrassing.

Also, Medical Professionals are taught to choose the reason behind something to be the most common one. (When you hear hooves outside your window, the sound is probably caused by horses and not by zebras.) He's probably not even aware that hormones can be drastically affected by a concussion - I think it's somewhat new information and probably takes specialization to even know (unless you're obsessed with learning about brain injuries because you're trying to cope with one or recover from one, like all of us).

But, just like I believe that the fact that I'm now allergic to wheat because of the concussion I sustained - there's no way to real prove it - other than the FACT that you know your vision wasn't altered until AFTER you sustained the concussion.

Eowyn here on this board has mentioned how much vision therapy helped her.

I've also recently read in a book called "Brainlash" which was written by a PHD who had to recover from an mTBI how much vision therapy helped her too.

I intend to go get evaluated for some vision therapy. I'm hoping it will help decrease the dizziness I still experience and possibly help me increase my energy levels.

A lot of people aren't even aware of the vision problems they're having after a concussion until they're evaluated.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
camyam73 (05-11-2012)