View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Has anyone been able to talk MD into doing ketamine infusions?

I live in a state that apparently has ZERO physicians who perform ketamine infusions. I am a newbie to this disease and really want to get this disease stopped in its tracks. How quickly it's taking hold of me is frightening.

I called throughout the southern half of Wisconsin and spoke to nurses in pain clinics to see if their physicians performed Ketamine infusions. (One nurse at a pain clinic had never heard of ketamine infusions- quickly crossed that one off the list).

However, I was able to find a group who USED to do ketamine infusions. The nurse seemed to indicate they stopped doing them because of difficulties with insurance coverage. Her group is big into the spinal implants and was trying to talk me into one of those. I explained why I didn't want to go this route- thanks to this forum. Told her that treatment only masked the symptoms but did not give remission. She agreed. She was losing patience with me and the call ended when I think she saw I wasn't going to utilize the surgical pumps and implants their group does. She said "You do realize you are talking to the pump and implant area don't you".

My question- My pain anesthesiologist who signed off on my case because there wasn't anything more he could do for me (except refer me to his partner for an SCS implant) is a part of the group that USED to doing ketamine infusions. Has anyone here had to convince a doctor to try (or in this case, resume) ketamine infusions?

I thought if I gathered up information, articles, and links about why ketamine infusions are useful AND if I used the form DeesRSD posted that helped her get coverage, perhaps my PM might talk one of his associates into resuming the treatments.

I am aware of the 3 groups in Chicago that do these infusions but they would be out of network. I can't afford the $6000 deductible for out of network treatment.

Thanks again to catra121 for her information on the most promising treatment for crps including ketamine infusions.
reluctant@thetable is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote