View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I strongly disagree with CS.

A teen girl who is a high achiever will be stressed by doing nothing. The low stress stimulation can be very good at reducing the frustration level from boredom. It will also be a way to stimulate a tolerable level of blood flow to the brain.

In many cases, saying 'deal with the boredom' would be a parent's prerogative. This is not that time.

I find it curious that people who claim to have 'complete recoveries' still caution against another concussion and often the progression of each successive concussion. The science is there to show that once concussed, always concussed. As I said, she has a good chance to have a good recovery. This includes all obvious concussion symptoms including brain fog and all of the apparent cognitive symptoms.

My position is that there is a need to seriously consider changes to lifestyle and activities to reduce the risk of another concussion or reduce the stressors that can cause a return of symptoms. There are lots of things that can be done to help her with studies and testing.

Just because she feels recovered does not mean she will have full function during times of stress like exams or any stressful emotional, physical or mental event.

I would usually struggle after any illness that had a prolonged time of fever. The fever would cause a return of symptoms that could last well beyond the fever and illness.

I would have benefited greatly by understanding why I was having struggles when I had recovered from all of my obvious concussion symptoms. Had I understood and anticipated my struggles that resulted from stress, I could have taken better steps to make my educational pursuits more successful.

I do not mean to be a pessimist about recovery. I understand the need to have a positive outlook while recovering. As I have said many times before, anybody who has suffered a concussion with prolonged symptoms has a good opportunity to live a full life.

Windseeker,

How are you doing? I haven't seen you post in quite some time. Are you improving?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 05-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote