View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2net98 View Post
Oh, my, thanks for posting this....my company (not necessarily my direct boss) has said that they can't really do anything for a medical condition, as long as I am continuing to try to get help or be tested; but, I wonder, if money issues prevent me from getting that dx (from the neurologist), can I be fired for issues beyond my control? It's like walking a tightrope sometimes.
It depends on a number of factors to be honest... what type of pay (hourly, salary, commission), State laws, country of residence, type of work, demand of job, how your job can accommodate, etc etc etc.

There's a number of things to 'factor in'. This is why I was so utterly confused.

In my case, I had already been diagnosed with MS. I had already disclosed my diagnosis to my employer as of March 5, 2008 (been employed with them since November 2001). They have both short term and long term disability through a third party insurance company. I'm a salaried worker (full time hours, 37.5 hours weekly).

So with my MS diagnosis, to get a workplace accommodation - permanent, or a change to current workplace duties or expectations of current role - I need to complete an Employee Declaration and send that to my insurance company (which I did on Friday by fax). Then I wait for them to call me back with a case number, and details. From there, I BELIEVE my doctor's office fills out their info, but what I did on my side was authorize the insurance company to go to my GP/family doctor and request as much/any medical info they wanted on me to provide for work accommodation to my employer.

I'd get in touch with your HR group for further clarification, or insurance group (if applicable), however it seems (where you say your company has said) that you've already been in touch?... what is it that they won't support in you trying to get answers/diagnosis? My insurance company supported me through short and long term disability, reporting to my employer, throughout the 'limbo' period and then up to my return to work full time after diagnosis, as well as relapses, etc.

I really hope you're able to get some help in this, it's the absolute PITS when we just want to be productive members of society within our capacity and not do ourselves in in the process.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (05-15-2012), Mariel (05-13-2012), SallyC (05-12-2012)