View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Prevention guidelines updated in April 2012

Do a quick good search for the recently updated American Academy of Neurology guidleines for prevention. There are many prescription medications as well as supplements that can have equally beneficial effects. Sometimes a combination of supplements- particularly invluding magnesium, robiflavin and feverfew- can be very safe and useful. Prescription meds can be added but there are many approved so dont feel copnstrained to just a couple options. Print out and discuss the new guidelines with your doc to find effective options.
Best wishes: Migraine-Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplaura View Post
Ironically, I took only 2 doses 20mg each of Propranolol. I did not sleep at ALL the first night. Every 10-15 minutes I was out of sleep. It was unreal.

Why did I stop though? With my MS, I spoke to my neurologist who ordered me into the hospital. After a 7 hour wait at the ER, I was put on an IV with migraine meds (he wanted to rule out possible MS relapse versus migraine) and then suggested stopping the propranolol and instead trying Topiramate.

I'd taken Topiramate a long time back, but don't recall side effects of the medication, so I'm hoping this will help. Though now I'm even questioning if I truly am suffering migraine or cluster/tension headaches (or the MS). I had all that IV medication last night, yet I have the same symptoms today (less pain however, and taking a Tylenol with codeine resolved the headache, though the banding feeling over my nose and pressure in sinus is back).

As for Amitriptyline and the side effects I had.....

- dry mouth
- receeding gums (probably due to the dry mouth)
- spots on the skin (across my breast bone)
- nightmares
- bed wetting
- forgetting to eat
- extremely low blood pressure (almost fainted dozens of times)
- blurred vision (though this was questionably my MS too)
- sexual function changes

(referenced Wikipedia for some. Others I remember from having, but I stopped taking it 3-4 years ago so it's difficult to remember, I've been through a few medications!)
Migraine Away is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote