View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Chronic high stress levels increase cortisol in the body for long periods, and this can affect the functioning of many systems and the brain. And it can lead to depression for some people.
Long-term chronic stress can also do the opposite - deplete cortisol levels - which can have some similar symptoms. Being under extreme stress myself for many years, and having many of the symptoms of elevated cortisol, my levels were, in fact, below the minimum range (range minimum?)

There is a controversial diagnosis in alternative medicine called adrenal fatigue, which is not accepted/recognized by the established medical community.
http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/what-is-adrenal-fatigue

I don't know if I buy into that or not. I do accept that imbalances in blood chemistry can profoundly effect how we feel, physically and mentally. Regardless - up or down - stress raises havoc with our adrenal hormones, knocking them out of balance/whack, which can have some serious consequences in how we feel & think. The only way to know what's going on for sure is to talk with your doctor and ask to be tested.

Having gotten my own levels (and there are more than just cortisol) back in range, my wife & I still can't believe the difference in mood, demeanor, and how I feel.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 05-14-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote