View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool Shake it Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iETs View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently have been noticing tremors in my hands and sometimes my legs. I went to a general MD and she thinks that it is ET. I still have to go see a neurologist.

I am currently 23 years old and am a physical therapy student. I feel really depressed from those tremors as my career choice is mostly hands on. My tremors are currently really slight and it only affects my daily activities when I'm on caffeine or stressed. I know it is a progressive disease and am really worried about it progressing to the point where it would affect my work and my independence.

I really need support and advice and I would really appreciate it if you help me with a few questions that I have?

1. If you have ET, how much did it progress each year? Do you notice a significant change each year?

2. If you are on any medication, does it help decrease your tremor to the point where you feel independent?

3. If you feel like your tremors interfere with your daily activities, how long did it take from the time of diagnosis to start interfering in your activities? In other words, was it quickly progressing or did it progress slowly? And at what age did you start getting it?

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to hear from you!

HhHHHHhhhiiii,

i haaavveee EEETTT sssinncee ii reemmmeemmbeeerr mmmyysseellfff bbbuut theeeerrrre''''ssss nnooooottthhhhiinnng nnnnoottiiiceeaaabbbblleee iinnn aaannyyttthhiiing iii dddooo. Just kidding. Not about having it since I was little. But you learn to live with it, like anything else in life. Mostly you become more aware of yourself and need to take care so people notice it less. Not that there's anything wrong with it, other than people associating your tremor with extreme nervousness. Which is annoying. While it doesn't occure only when nervous it does, however, increase in nervous situations (in my case).

I tend to drink with two hands, one holding the cup and the other slightly supporting it. I can never manage holding a saucer and cup in one hand. Just the thought can make cups fly out of my cupboard. Nor can I hold a drink in each hand (to serve guests as an example). What else? computer keyboards can be tricky when I make presentations. Generally I try to keep my hands and fingers resting on something at all times because they can start shaking without my noticing (others notice immediately...).

Given the opportunity I tell people that I have ET, that it's herditary, etc. Nothing apologetic. Just a fact. You may choose to tell your patients the same.

I'm not an old man, but I've seen my share. And if ET is the worst thing that happens to you, you're a lucky man.
steadygoesit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote