View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk Update Wk 3

Hi Everyone. Three weeks today and feeling better with everything. The right arm is the main issue, TOS symptoms seem to be all ok now, but time will tell with that.

This surgery has been so different to my surgery last year and although I researched things thoroughly, I haven't been prepared for the surprises this time around. I certainly wasn't expecting the extra activity with the T1 nerve, who was to know until you get inside I suppose but that is the ongoing issue for me.

I can hold things better, certainly type faster but only for short periods and I still need spell check... I can hold a cup or plate, but nothing in them and I cant turn my wrist to to do more common things, eating, drinking, cleaning teeth or washing. I do everything I can to support the weight of my arm, it is improving day to day but the restrictions are many.

I take Panadol with 9.5 mg codeine three times a day and that looks after things but you know when its tablet time. I was told not to drive until the feeling comes back to my arm but that advice could be impractical I think. Any stretching to use a keyboard hurts and the laptop in my lap is still the best for me.

I think I'm over the emotional part of the process and I am still getting use to not contributing around the house because I can't lift anything and have no stamina. I feel ok with rest, but then after a walk or trip out of the house the pleurisy kicks in and reminds me that I still haven't healed. I have an enormous family tree task to fill my time and I am just getting around to being able to focus and think again since the surgery.

The cat has me trained into a routine as well and the old thing comes looking for me if I am not sitting next to him to lift him up or down when he wakes up. My wife wonders where she went wrong with me, if the cat can do it...

I have included a snapshot of my incision taken in a mirror so it looks to be on the wrong side from my first pic. The lower part starts at my sternum and it travels 18cm up to the original wound from last year.

Cheers to everyone until next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Blurto Needs a Rib Resection-incision_2-jpg  
Blurto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (05-14-2012), nospam (05-14-2012)