Thread: Post Tymectomy
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Kimmy, I won't judge you on the pot, however, smoking of any substance is highly damaging to the lungs. And pot can increase muscular weakness. Also, it's a "foreign" substance which your immune system may not like. Right now, your body needs to heal.

I think your doc needs to read up on all of the thymectomy studies. MG antibodies are not only made in the thymus! They are also made in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells. The immune system is fairly complex, so to say the thymus plays the only role in remission is naive.

You need to go by how your muscles feel. Going off of drugs too quickly after a thymectomy - which is a stress on the immune system no matter what type you have done - can put you at risk of a crisis.

I hope for everyone to go into remission with MG. I'm rather skeptical as well. There is drug-induced remission, where you are still dependent on drugs and drug-free remission. The studies are still on-going for thymectomies and what the success rate truly is; whether it's the thymectomy alone or in combo with drugs that does the trick.

Personally, I don't do anything that might push my immune system to the brink. I already have MG and celiac disease. I don't want any more AI's. So don't just think about MG. So many people tend to have more than one disease, sorry to say.

I hope you continue to get better. Don't forget how easy it is to overdo with MG!

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 05-15-2012 at 04:58 AM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote