View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

When he talks about mood, he likely means your personality issues/struggles will not improve. PCS can cause a tendency to be more intense or even argumentative about issues. The rigid thinking of PCS can stay with you.

These issues can be resolved with CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) where you learn to recognize situations and redirect your thought processes. You learn to use cognitive thought rather than emotional responses to stressful situations.

You may need some assistance with communication skills. You may be unable to quickly understand others moods and inflections. But again, knowing you have this limitation allows you to choose a different way to response.

For me and many I know, there is a need to be slow to respond and maybe even step back away from a situation before responding.

If you are willing to be humble enough to accept others impressions of your communications, you can actually become a better communicator because you will have learned to listen better and wait to respond.

We sort of get an easy excuse for previous communication problems. We can blame it on our injury and choose to learn to be better people.

Without the PCS, all we can blame it on is a personal tendency to be a jerk or something. We tend to not accept our own deficiencies well. So, blame it on the broken brain and learn new skills.

We just need to be prepared for those times where our PCS communication symptoms come roaring along and we embarrass ourselves and get in trouble.

If you have taken the time to listen to others critique your personality and communication weaknesses, you may post their comments here. We can help you learn new ways to respond.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. It helps to get family involved to be able to move forward without hurt feelings.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (05-15-2012)