View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbs View Post
Immunoglobulin infusions are covered 100% through Medicare Part A and Part B. 80/20. It is considered a medical procedure.

Privigen, the injectible IG, is considered a drug and is covered under Part D.
I pay nothing for my infusions. If I were taking Privigen, my co-pay would be 26% of the drug cost with the Part D plan I chose.

It will show you $25.80 monthly premium, Annual Drug Deductible: $320 and your annual co-pay. About $4200.00. to $4500. a year. Ouch.

My advice, try to talk to your Dr. and have him get you on the infusions.

Even though there is not much differance between the list of providers for Privigen, There could be a big saving for other drugs you may be taking.

Tony
Thanks for all your help Tony. I'm going to follow your instructions and go to the link you provided as soon as I can print your instructions.

I just have a couple more things to ask you...

1. I've always had my IG infused with an infusion pump, even now with Privigen so I'm not sure why Privigen is coming up as an injectible drug

What's the name of your IG Brand? I used Octogam for many years until it was recalled and my doctor switched me to another brand which I had a bad reaction to (I think GammaGaurd) He then switched me over to Privigen which is infused.

I've never tried the injectible IG (I think it's called subcataneous or something like that)

2. Secondly, why in the world don't these agents for insurance companies understand that IVIG is a medical procedure?!?!?!?! I kept telling the lady from Anthem what it was and she kept treating it like it was something that I do everyday such as swallowing a pill! Of course you don't have that answer.... I just wanted to vent!
But I guess she was reading what the computer told her about Privigen when she said that I would have to pay 33% for Privigen each time I received the infusion which is VERY EXPENSIVE and that's why I went into Panic Mode

3. Sounds like if I get the right supplemental insurance along with the right prescription drug plan along with the "correct" IG brand then my infusion costs (including the drug) will be fully covered and I won't have to pay that "out of this world" co pay for the drug right?

4. Are you going to a hospital or infusion center for your infusions or are you being infused at home by a home health care agency?

Thanks SO much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it!
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote