View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 13 y/o daughter suffering 2nd pcs...really,really worried and scared

Hi everyone, this seems like a wonderful community. Like so many say I wish none of us needed to be here but it is a godsend when you find yourself needing the help and understanding that only those who have lived it can provide. My 13 y/o daughter is now going through a second PCS and I am so worried for her. I just keep feeling like I'm going to wake up and find this isn't really happening. It is surreal. She suffered PCS three years ago after an accident in a gymnastics class that involved falling onto her head from a handstand position (no mat) and then going onto a trampoline. It took her two months to recover and we were told by the neurologist we should consider ourselves very lucky. At that time we knew she had had two prior concussions and I will always wonder about more. We certainly recognized she would forever be at much greater risk for concussion/greater injury from head trauma. Fast forward three years, during which time there were no recurring symptoms of PCS (though I know now there were subtle things occurring). Two weeks ago she ran a 10k and three days later full blown PCS. I was numb for awhile but the hugeness of this is settling upon me more and more along with a lot of guilt. I'm terrified about her full-recovery and the level of fragility/susceptibility to concussion that she may have.
pretdou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote