View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for all the really helpful advice. I really appreciate it. It's easier to talk to people who really know how painful RSD can be. Thanks for the support!

I haven't been keeping my arm immobilized since I've been on bed rest. I remember my last bout of RSD and that the immobilization actually worsened the problem.

I'm having a MRI of my neck tomorrow to see if there are any cervical disc issues that could be compressing a nerve and causing the arm pain. I'm being sent to my neurologist so that she can evaluate the MRI and decide what's going on.

My rheumatologist said it's probably one of four things: return of the RSD, a manifestation of MS (which I don't have, but have been suspected of in the past) or a cervical disc herniation compressing nerves. He said she might also order a nerve conduction study.

I've started taking Tylox for the pain, but even that doesn't make it go away. It dulls it a bit, but that's it. I guess it's better than vicodin, though.

As for work, my rheumatologist said he doesn't know how I could possibly go to work as it stands now. He's waiting for the MRI results and what the neuro says to determine what will happen in that regard. I do have short term disability paperwork provided by my job (it's town government and a union position, which helps). I'll have to get either my neuro or rheumatologist to fill it out, though.

I don't know if anyone would know this, but would a cervical disc herniation cause temperature changes in my arm that can be detected by other people? Can they also cause swelling?

My whole arm is inflamed and when the pain really acts up, it turns ice cold. My husband and best friend have felt how cold my arm gets, so it's not in my head.
KathrynL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote