View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The upper neck inflammation can cause a reduction in blood flow and muscle spasms, etc. The jarring from so many foot plants can also be very traumatic.

It would surprise me if she does not get relief from the icing. Taking an anti-inflammatory med like aspirin or ibuprofen can help, too. She could alternate the two meds to reduce the strain they can cause on a body when used long term.

Her previous concussion from a vertical impact to her head and neck leads me to believe she may have a chronic upper neck injury that needs to be considered.

I suffered a vertical impact 12 years ago that has never completely healed. I am very sensitive to car rides down a rough road.

If she needs to ride in the car, have her lean forward with her shoulders forward if there are any rough road areas. This creates more vertical shock capability in the upper spine. If her shoulders are against the back of the seat, she will feel every bump right into her head.

When she gets seen by the doctor, you might ask for a full hormone panel, thyroid and sex hormones can get messed up. A blood test for B-12, folate, magnesium, calcium and some others can be helpful. If she is not getting enough B-12 and folic acid, she can take supplements to get them up. Her B-12 should be about 1000 pcgms/mL and folate should be above 20.

If her hormones are way off, she could use a bio-identical hormone therapy to get back in balance. A good referral source is https://www.womensinternational.com/..._referral.html

Some have found progesterone therapy to be helpful. It is a neuro-protective hormone. Progesterone is being studied for brain injury therapy.

So, Mom, relax and just help her without feeling like you have to solve her problems. She does not need stress or to see you under stress.

If she struggles to get her body and mind to relax, you can ask the doctor about a prescription for gabapentin. It is an anti-epileptic that helps the brain settle down. I need it to sleep. Without it, my body is tense and my mind goes too fast. I take it an hour before going to bed.

Hope she feels better.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote