View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There are several people on here who have had success with an SCS for RSD, including me, and I'm sure everyone will show up and share their experiences with you. The thing is that, with any RSD treatment, there is a possibility for it to work and a possibility for it not to work. The good thing with an SCS is that you get to go through a trial first, so that you're able to see if it works to help your pain and if it is something that you think you can and would like to live with.

There are risks of spreading with the RSD, as with any surgery. I think that's what most people are worried about. The doctors should be able to do blocks beforehand, though, to help reduce that risk of spreading.

I tried so many other different treatments before I came to spinal cord stimulation, and none of them were successful long term- the pain would come back when they'd wear off or the tubes would come out. That's why when my doctor suggested an SCS I looked into it, because of the permanent aspect to relieving pain. I did a lot of research of my own before agreeing to anything, and I definitely encourage everyone to do the same so that they know what they're getting into. I decided to go with the trial, and it went really well, reducing my pain a lot. So I went with the permanent, and I am so happy I did. My RSD pain in my legs is much more manageable now, and it doesn't have so much control over me.

Since then the RSD has spread to my wrist. After trying less invasive options first again with no success, I've come to the decision, through much deliberation, to pursue a trial for a cervical SCS for my wrist. I start the trial for that this Thursday, and if it goes well, I'll go forward with the permanent. There is a lot involved with this whole process, but the relief that I get is worth it.

Good luck with your decision and any questions you have, be sure to ask them because everyone will be happy here to provide answers!
yellow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-16-2012), Mark56 (05-15-2012), Nanc (05-16-2012), Rrae (05-15-2012), Sophie_ (05-16-2012)