View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

It is true that some side effects you describe are common with the drugs. A person who has shortness of breath, should not be on beta blockers. This can result in a bronchospasm, which can be life threatening. What is your husband taking a beta blocker for? Fatigue also from beta blockers and morphine, and gabapentin. Beta blockers typically reduce aerobic capacity, such as running or climbing stairs.
Sweating can come from the morphine.

Amitriptyline is not indicated in patients with heart rhythm problems. What dose is he on? It can also cause urinary retention.

So the problem exists, and each drug needs to be looked at carefully and in combination with the others.

Here is a good drug checker:
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Sometimes one has to be emphatic with doctors when quality of life gets too low. Unless you are very vocal...they tend to ignore your discomforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyloowho1234 View Post
This is my first post on behalf of my husband. He has had idiopathic peripheral neuropathy for about 8 years - he is 62. It started in his feet and has progressed to his lower legs and hands to some degree.

He recently passed out and was diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia.

However he as many other symptoms, which have also developed fairly recently, and I am now beginning to wonder if his neuropathy has become autonomic. Difficulty urinating, excessive sweating, shortness of breath, face pallor, face flushing, extreme fatigue, nausea/heartburn.

We have mentioned all this to his GP, who is normally very good, but he said a lot of these symptoms can be put down to his meds - Gabapentin, amitriptylene, morphine and now beta blockers.

Does anyone have any experience with autonomic neuropathy? Is this a likely progression from the peripherial neuropathy?

I haven't expressed my "fears" to my husband yet, but would be interested in any thoughts?

Thanks, Linda

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote