View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
I'm almost done reading The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean. What a great book. It provides a lot of information in easy to understand format. I never knew how important this mineral is to our health and well being. I took the 100% RDA and thought that hole was plugged in terms of getting me an adequate amount on a daily basis. Magnesium oxide seems to be used the most and is the least effective. That is where I made a mistake. Not doing the proper research.

Another fascinating aspect of magnesium is the various forms available for us to use. Different types work in ways others do not. I'm trying magnesium malate. Supposedly it is capable of crossing the blood to brain barrier and can help with metal detoxification. I'm hoping it might improve my short term memory! Time will tell.

Cold feet and tingling in my hands are other nagging issues that flare up in a waxing and waning pattern. I'm excited to try this supplement and see if it helps at all.

The book suggests one method (among many) of testing magnesium deficiency by doing an oral clinical trial. Take supplmental magnesium for 1 to 3 months and record changes to physical and mental health. This will be my approach.

I'm hopeful that it will help. I'll report my results in 3 months.

Well its been over 3 months since I started taking the proper type of magnesium and as stated above was to report my results after that period.

Since taking magnesium regularly on a daily basis many of my symptoms have really diminished to a point where it is truly remarkable. Here are some of the improvements and comments:

1. Cold feet and hands feels about 95% improved. Some of my periodic flares still produce the cold feeling, but it is rare even then. The coldness goes away quicker and isn't as intense when present.
2. Memory has really improved. Keep in mind that regaining memory back after having it slip away over several years due to inadequate nutrition is a very slow process at best. Vitamin B12, fish oil and Folate helped me improve it in a gradual fashion since taking them in 2009. Taking the magnesium over the last 3 months has really helped me more than anything taken previously. I keep close track of my short term memory to see if I show improvement so I know it's working. I now remember where I parked my car in a big lot after shopping and my locker number at the gym without having to check it in my pocket. This may seem minor, but its a huge relief for me!
3.Dizziness has improved as well. I still get random bouts of dizziness, but less frequently and more mild than before.
4. Hypersensitivity on face and scalp much improved with lesser reoccurences.
5. Tingling in the hands is slightly better but still there. Comes and goes.
6. My hair is now a bit thicker than before. I always had thick bushy hair until the PN became apparent. My hair really started to thin the last couple of years. I know that magnesium is not a hair loss cure, but something happened to improve my condition and I can't think of anything else.
7. Numbness in feet doesn't appear to have changed much if at all. It cycles from very mild to moderate depnding on a flare or not.
8. Flares are less frequent and less intense overall.

In conclusion, I'm very happy with the magnesium and hope it helps others like it did me.
karsten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DonnaG (05-17-2012), mrsD (05-16-2012), v5118lKftfk (07-02-2014)