View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Please help me understand

I am 58 years old. I do not consider that as an old age at all. I should be pretty much able to do whatever I want with a few aches and pains, maybe moving a little slower. WRONG!

Years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes, both of which run in my family and was not a surprise. About 20 years ago I started having some muscular/neurological symptoms and was told I may or may not have MS. The doctors cannot decide. All I know is that I have bouts of numbness in my face, muscle spasms in my legs and arm and get overly fatigued at the drop of a hat.

About 3 years ago I started having pain in my legs. I figured it was arthritis. Nope, it is polymyositis, an uncurable, degenerative disease of muscle breakdown. As a result I experience muscle fatigue quickly when I try to do anything. I cannot walk for any distance, bicycle, carry things or swim to name a few.

Now, I have been short of breath. I went to the doctor yesterday only to find out I have developed asthma. I have an inhaler to use until I go back to him in a month after more tests. I also have sleep apnea and need my CPAP recallibrated.

It is getting so I am afraid to go to the doctor because they find some chronic, incurable and often rare disease. What did I do to deserve this? I used to smoke but I did not abuse my body with recreational drugs or alcohol. I was never big on exercise but I often belonged to a gym and went to it at least 3-4 days per week. I wouldn't mind having all these illnesses if I had enjoyed myself along the way but I did not. I don't understand.
knittenkitten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote