View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have ulnar nerve entrapments in both arms, as well as wrist and shoulder. They are not dangerous, as far as I know. The first time they flared up badly we were on vacation. I could not pass a plate across the table or bear any weight with my arms extended. There was some pain in the elbow and a dull ache in the entire arm. When I returned home I was unable to remove laundry from the washer, carry groceries, use a knife or spoon to cook, etc. I was diagnosed by needle EMG with carpal tunnel, which turned out to be an inadequate diagnosis. My doctor sent me to physical therapy, which seemed to help, after several months, but now I know the condition comes and goes on its own, and treatment isn't necessary.
When I went to a podiatrist with a foot infection which had gotten far established due to complete lack of sensitivity in my feet, I told him about the carpal tunnel. He said that bilateral carpal tunnel combined with my loss of sensation and unusual height wasn't carpal tunnel at all but polyneuropathy. He refused to see me again until i had been to a neurologist. She passed me on after two years to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion, but both doctors agreed that there is no treatment. I have hereditary sensory motor neuropathy- CMT type 2, axonal degeneration. I also have pinched nerves, or pressure palsies, but they come and go. I do not know of any effective treatment for them, other then time and rest, but they are not dangerous.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote