View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sah-PCA View Post
May I ask a question? Were you taking the lyrica for pain or onset partial seizures? If for seizures, were you taking another anti-antileptic drug? The reason I ask, is because. I was taking lyrica for partial onset (whatever the want to call it) seizures (no other epileptic meds just lyrica). It's not my first time discontinueig this med. The first time I stopped taking it, I weened off by taking on everyother day, and then one every 3 days and so on. This time I didnt do that, because I had no choice, when I learned that my neuro dr would not allow express scripts to fill prescription for 90 days to save me money (I already cant afford the med) I only had 4 capsules left. I was waiting for my refill to come in the mail and it didnt, so when I called express scripts to inquire about it, that's when I learned that the dr denied the 90 day prescription (because its a narcotic). He did allow it to be filled monthly but I couldnt afford it, thats why I went thru express scripts, If I could, I might as well had gotten in thru local pharmacy because it cost the same. I believe Im going thru withdrawal now. My episodes are magnified and very intense. They're happening more than once a day. They're worse first thing in the morning and if I stay up too late they're horrible in the evenings, especially when I doze off to sleep. I had no choice but to stop taking it cold turkey. Any advice? Im eating everything thats not moving (gaining weight) It's just a week since I've stopped taking it. I gotta find another neuro dr.

Hi Sah-PCA,

Years ago I took Lyrica and it didn't work for me. You mentioned that you were having seizures in the morning and later at night this could be what they call "Myoclonic Seizures" and they happen when a person wakes up in the morning and when they go to sleep at night. I had this type of seizure for a short time and I found taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day a big help to reduce them. I then was put on vimpat and I haven't had a single myoclonic seizure since then, but I still do have absence (petit mal) and simple partial (aura) seizures. I also take diamox and mysoline.
If you need help getting you seizures meds (AED's) you can call your local Epilepsy Foundation or call the Epilepsy Foundation of America at 1-800-332-1000 and they have programs that will help people pay for AED's as well as other medical costs.
You might want to consider seeing a Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) instead of a neuro. I've gotten much more help and I take a lot less meds since I began seeing an Epileptologist. You can find and Epileptologist at a University hospital or a big hospital. Check with your family Dr. and he/she can refer you to an Epileptologist to get the necessary help you need and hopefully stop your seizures. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sah-PCA (05-18-2012)