View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink Response finally re Dr Brown UCSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl626 View Post
CJ, have you had your surgery yet?
I have a lot of updates. I actually forgot I had even posted on this website. I discovered that many people wanted to know how my surgery went.

I had the Scalenectomy, but Dr Brown discovered that that was not going to be sufficient once he got in there. Apparently, my ribs are more vertical than most people, I had a branch of the Subclavian vein in the wrong place. He told me right away after recovering from anesthesia that I would need further surgery.

Dr Brown had me get a CT of my chest with angiogram to show where the vessels were being compressed, both artery and vein. We discovered that my clavicle and first 2 ribs were compressing the vessels on the left side.

He involved the Thoracic surgeon, Dr Goltz, in the second surgery, which was mid April. I had portions of both the first and second rib removed. I am about 4 plus weeks out. I am finally entirely off pain meds, except Aleve as of 2 days ago. My left hand still turns blue when it just hangs down while sitting or walking. A second CT done last week, in prep for the right side, shows plenty of room for the vessels on the left and I can correct the color of the left hand but raising it up, so we will leave it be. Right side will need scalencetomy and only first rib removal- but as least it will be in one surgery. I believe I will be shortly after supersickchick, as Dr Brown's assistant said I will be shortly after June 13.

Sorry for the long post. I will keep in touch better
cjennett is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jkl626 (05-18-2012), Jomar (05-18-2012), nospam (05-18-2012)