Thread: Smoking and MS
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
Smoking causes inflammation throughout the human body and it is thought that MS is a disease worsened by inflammation. I have heard many people say that those with MS and smoking will have a much worse time with the disease. And research is beginning to show that now as well.

I have a niece with MS who has always smoked, diagnosed about the same age as me. She has total disability and has for more than five years, with only the use of her right hand now. I am 54 years old and still walking, and working full time. I quit smoking in my early 20s. If you smoke, quit, if not for your MS, then for your quality of life in general and for your family.
Thank you so much for your enlightening reply. Hearing about real comparisons is what I need and you have done that perfectly. I have noticed the less I smoke my symptoms aren't as bad, and was just curious as to why and how that would be. I know smoking depletes oxygen, and was wondering how that worked in with the inflammation? How does swelling occur with lack of oxygen? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions, I'm new to all this with just being diagnosed Oct 2011.

Thank you again.

Last edited by Undecided80; 05-17-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Wrote the wrong year
Undecided80 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (05-18-2012), ewizabeth (05-18-2012)