View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Ribbon

I had my second rib resection completed last week on May 8, exactly two and a half months after my left side resection and scalenectomy. Due to complications, I ended up spending four nights in the hospital. It's been a rough, challenging week for me.

Unfortunately, I have been experiencing problems with allodynia, according to Dr. Donahue. The pain I have is more great discomfort in my skin, rather than the deep pain my shoulder and chest that I had last time around. Apparently allodynia is pain that comes from stimuli that aren't usually painful. For example, blankets on my bed, my sweatshirt, movement in the car, all exacerbate my discomfort.

I started taking Neurontin today, and I will taper onto it for the next couple of days. I'm really hoping this helps get the nerve pain under control, as it was not something I ever experienced prior to surgery and its made me quite irritable. Aside from this nerve pain though, my movement is my right side is quite good in comparison to where I was with my left side 8 days out of surgery.

Take care, everyone.
ladylaura418 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote