View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxcrystalxxxx View Post
Well the last couple of months have really been taking it's toll on me. I have been inpatient to get my medications adjusted. I was told I would have cognitive and mood issues for the rest of my life. It'll be a year in July and just now are people starting to realize just how much PCS has effected my life. I cant drive. I'm on alot of meds and I keep bumping my head or falling and giving myself concussions. I am recovering from one this week. I'm discouraged. I was told to give it another year and some therapy and see if my "totally disabled status" into partial but I dont think it's going to happen. In order to stay "stabalized" I need to be on meds that I cant drive on. The painkillers are also scary. It has declined my cognitive functioning but my mood is better and I'm not thinking bad thoughts anymore. Where do you draw the line here? I'm scared and unsure about how to approach at my next therapy appt. I was told last week if I didn't slow down like I was in the hospital he will put me back so I can rest. I have to nap 3 two hour sessions to give my brain time to heal. I'm so confused. Any feedback will be appreciated no matter how much I may not want to hear it. lol
I don't really have any advice for you, Crystal, but I'm right there in front of you/next to you...coming up on a year next month. My cognitive symptoms/speech/expression is still very much screwed up, my personality is changing all the time and I, too, am unable to drive. Not because of medications, but because it takes a toll on my brain and causes even worse cognitive symptoms. I'm in therapy but it only seems to be helping with my anxiety and my mood. I've been very positive since I started the program, but my cognitive stuff has worsened.

Anyways, I know I said that I didn't have any advice for you...but, I do. Stay positive. I know being in this position sucks, I'm pretty much in the same position as you, but there is nothing we can do to change it. My counselor told me...you can either be a victim or a survivor. The choice is your's. Its a battle everyday to accept "what is", but once you conquer that...you can move forward in life with confidence.

There is life after a brain injury. You just have to put the pieces back together. You can do it...

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (05-18-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (05-19-2012)