View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

amys23,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You have found a good place.

As EsthersDoll said, Relax.

You are not only recovering from a brain injury but you also have the epilepsy diagnosis to deal with. This can be a complex situation.

How long have you had the epilepsy diagnosis?

Let me try to help you with your other complaint. You are very unlikely to be suffering from any level of intellectual deterioration. There is a vast difference between cognitive and memory struggles and intellectual deterioration.

Concussion can often cause cognitive and memory struggles but any impact on intellect is usually very minor if at all.

You may feel like you are going stupid but all you need is to learn new ways to use your intellect. My various measures of intellect are in the top 10% to top 1% but my memory skills and processing speed are all in the bottom 10%. To access my intellect, I need to use new skills of mental processing.

You are also very early in your recovery. Resting and simply putting up with less intellectual achievement for a while will reduce your anxiety level and help your brain recover better.

I have been on 3 different anti-seizure meds. Finding the right med is an art not a science. It may take a while to get the right one. Doctors often try to use the latest and greatest when an older med may do better.

Has anybody suggested any nutritional changes to try to help your brain? You may need to aid your brain with nutritional supplements.
The common regimen many here use is B-12 (500 to 1000 mcgs daily) A B-50 complex, Omega's, magnesium, calcium, all of the anti-oxidants, good protein for the amino acids (pork is a good source of the most essential Broken Chain Animo Acids) and

Avoid caffeine, artificial sweeteners (aspartame/Equal,Nutrasweet is the worst) high sugar content food, especially with high fructose corn sweetener (adds to memory problems) alcohol, MSG, and drugs or meds unless recommended.

I recently read about how some who are very neurologically sensitive to gluten ( in wheat) and casein (in milk). I only consume non-homogenized milk because the homogenized milk fat does not digest properly and can cause problems.

I am sure you will read many more ideas from others. I already gave you a fire hose full.

Just remember. Relax, Rest, and give your brain time to heal. Please don't get concerned about deteriorating intellect. You have no basis for such anxiety.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (05-19-2012)