View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 1 case of PML confirmed with Gilenya

Hi guys

You may have alread had this posted, but since I have found out that I am JC Positive, I am on the lookout for information and alternatives:

"April 13, 2012 — A case of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) has been reported in a patient with multiple sclerosis (MS) taking fingolimod (Gilenya, Novartis).

Novartis AG confirmed that the company has been informed of a PML diagnosis in a patient on fingolimod, but points out that the patient was treated with natalizumab (Tysabri, Biogen Idec/Elan) for approximately 3 ˝ years before being started on fingolimod. The patient is also JC virus (JCV) antibody–positive, a company statement notes.

Natalizumab treatment is associated with a known risk for PML, particularly in JCV antibody–positive patients and those treated longer than 2 years.

"The current assessment is that Tysabri is the drug most likely associated with this case of PML," the company notes in their statement. "However, a contribution of Gilenya to the evolution of this case cannot be excluded."

"This is the first and only reported PML case in approximately 36,000 fingolimod-treated patients," the statement adds. "Novartis believes Gilenya provides a benefit for appropriate MS patients when used in accordance with approved labelling."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762039

Since this is so new, it could be the start of something , or just a result of Tysabri use, since the person had been on Ty for 3.5 years.

Who knows, but short of taking nothing , or going back to Beta (or similar) I don't see many choices.

Lyn

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 Craniotomy to clip brain aneurysm 2004. ITP 1993.
Lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (05-20-2012), dmplaura (05-23-2012), ewizabeth (05-19-2012), Kitty (05-19-2012), Mariel (05-19-2012), SallyC (05-19-2012)