View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The transport of all 3 of these nutrients in this article may also explain your unique response to them. You may have a genetic need others don't possess.
The only unique response I'm aware of is how fast RLA (and only RLA) worked for me, and I don't know for sure that that's unique.

If I have some genetic need (and I don't know of any evidence or way to prove that) or if there's some other reason regarding the three supplements, many others have it too, and I thought others might appreciate what I've found, as well as what's working for others that doesn't affect me.

The majority - 28 out of 33 (~85%) - in the study reported improvement when taking B5 with RLA. I wish the study was larger and corroborated, but at the moment it's all we've got, and at least it's on people and not rats.

Many other people are reporting positive results with B5 for other conditions as well, from chronic acne to CFS to Lupus (SLE), and more.

One thing I've observed about claims about B5 is that they all involve large to mega doses. I don't know how I feel about that. Larger doses of other vitamins (B12, D3) are recommended here. They are better studied, and we can only hope that B5 will receive similar attention in the near future; IMO there's a little too much coincidence to dismiss it without a closer look.

There is insufficient evidence that B5 does anything for most of its claims, and I admit I'm skeptical about many/most of them myself, but that's not why I'm taking it anyway. It's coincidental that it seems to be helping some of those claims, and I'll take what I can get. Maybe there's something to them, or maybe I'm lucky, but I'm not alone. Also, like B12, C, and some other water solubles, there's no upper limit to dosage, and side effects are genrally negligible until one takes obscenely massive doses, so while it may do nothing, it can't hurt to try it and see.

B5 and biotin with adrenal hormones - I don't know if that's being done. I'm doing it myself based on what I've gleaned from looking into it. The adrenal hormones are Doctor Tennant's work, and many, many of his patients are benefitting from that - including at least two I've met here on NT. I think a LOT more chronic pain patients could benefit as well, particularly those that fit the profile - long periods of un(der) treated intractable pain and/or long-term opioid use. This therapy is new, like RLA for PN was at one time. All developments must start somewhere and build.

I wish I could say ALC worked for me as well, but it doesn't.

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote