View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Could I have MG?

Hello, I've been experiencing frightening symptoms for the past couple months, and the several doctors I have been to cannot diagnose me. I've been reading about Myasthenia Gravis and am very intrigued. Some of the symptoms I have do not seem to be linked to MG, but I figure the people in this forum who have been diagnosed might be able to shed some light.

(First of all, I have had a slightly droopy eye since I was 13. A friend noticed that when I laughed, my right eye would close before the left. Now I am 21 and the droopy eye is much more noticeable, at least to me in the mirror)

Anyway, 2 months ago I was at work and felt a spasm in my throat. Then I felt severely lightheaded. I went to the ER and had many tests done: blood, urine, CT of the brain, EKG, chest xray. Everything was negative and they gave me anti-dizzy pills. Later, I went to my dermatologist because I was on Accutane during this event: I saw my derm to make sure this was not a side effect of the Accutane. It wasn't, but I quit the Accutane anyway.
Then I went to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor because I had a continuous lump-feeling in my throat. The ENT stuck a tube down my throat and saw nothing wrong. Also checked my ears for the lightheadedness, and they were fine too.
I then went to my regular General Practitioner. She diagnosed me with panic attacks (my symptoms are very similar to panic attacks, although they happen so often I really doubt that I'm in a constant state of panic)
She gave me Xanax. I also have irregularities in my heartbeat, PVCs and palpitations. And mild hypothyroidism (I just finished my 1st month of Synthroid and only feel minor improvement)
I went to a cardiologist for the PVCs and I am waiting for the results of my heart ultrasound and stress test.

The reason I believe I may have MG is the eye droopiness (it gets worse when I am tired, and my right eye never seems to want to focus on what I am looking at), and I cannot look up or to the side for 30 seconds. I get a terrible headrush and feel like I will black out or I have to squint my eyes.
I also get muscle weakness when doing regular activities (to the point that my legs or arms are shaking) and after resting for a while it's OK again.

Should I ask to be tested for MG? I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac, but I would like to know if anyone felt anything similar before being diagnosed.

Thanks!
chrissylgk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote