View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is it CRPS if you don't have pain?

So, a little background....last June I had a surgery on the posterior tibial nerve right under my knee. It was my 3rd surgery in 8 months and none of these surgeries worked. They suspected I had some sort of nerve entrapment. Anyway, the last surgery in June 2011 left me with complications...complete numbness from the knee to the ankle and half of the bottom of the foot. The doctors said it was due to an irritated sapphenous nerve and it would calm down but may take a year. Well, it has gotten significanly better, but in the meantime I started to experience bouts of splotchy red toes and bottoms of my feet. Mostly on the surgery foot, but at times on the other foot as well. The flare-ups mostly happen if it's hot outside, in the evening after lying down and then getting up again.

When I have the flare-ups my feet are extremely hot and swell, but only slightly. I don't experience any pain with the flare-ups, just discomfort and I really can't stand on them when they are flared up b/c it's uncomfortable. If I soak my feet in cool water or put them in front of the A/C I can get the flare-ups to go away in probably under 2 minutes.

I went to a pain management center to get a sympathetic nerve block but I'm pregnant so they would not do the block. The dr said if he had to make a diagnosis he would say I have a mild case of CRPS. This was based off me telling him about the flare-ups and the fact that the foot that has the flare-ups was about 7 degrees different in temperature (colder) than the other foot.

My long winded question is can I have a mild case of CRPS if I don't have pain?

It's occuring more and more now that it's 90 degrees in Chicago. I can't really go outside without it happening now.
jeichmann21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote