View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My accident was 1-17-2011. I ended up missing the rest of the spring semester (I am a teacher). I was beginning to improve over the summer with some medication changes and vision therapy.

I tried to go back part time in a one-to-one setting (instead of whole-group instruction) at the beginning of this year, but after several months it became apparent that that was still too much, at least in the particular setting of my school. So I've been off again since January 2012.

I am definitely much better than I was last year, but I still have lots of ups and downs, and certain stressful situations are still a lot for me to handle. I think I would still have a pretty hard time in a classroom, so I'm not in a big rush to get back there until I have more of my cognitive processing speed and multi-tasking skills back, and I think those will be some of the last things to show up.

Definitely talk to your HR department. It might also be helpful to see if you can consult a physiatrist in addition to your workers comp doctor. They are doctors who specialize in rehabilitation.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote