View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default been there done that

Yup, I've had the injections. I can't imagine why the doctor thinks you can't hold yourself still for them. I think we've learned to deal here with so much pain that the pain of needle is nothing in comparison.

So...The doctor used local anesthetic for the skin. So that was a prick, but then the needle going in was fine. The next step was injecting a bit of saline onto the nerve they hoped was causing the pain, in the hopes that it would give me exactly the pain which I complain about. Well, when that happens, you do jump. I can't believe there is anyone who doesnt'. You're lying on a table, on your stomach, and there's a second of lightening type pain and you twitch with it, say Ouch! and then it stops. It's a split second. Why would they stop the test? I don't get it.

After that, it doesn't hurt anymore. They might then (some docs have, some haven't) inject some lidocaine to see if your pain goes away with it. But mainly at that point they inject a steroid with a bit of lidocaine in the mix.

If you're lucky, in about 5 - 6 days, the steroid is working, and the pain you are suffering with goes away or eases up.

For the pain I had from a cyst in the spine it was a total wonder. For the pain I had after the surgery (and still do have) in my butt, it eased things. But in combination with other things, like acupuncture.

I think you can get throug this; you have gotten through way way more. If there's one thing you totally are, it's courageous. Yeah, you've called yourself a baby to us, and wanted to be forgiven for whining, I remember. But you have managed to deal with an incredible amount of pain in an astonishing way. A wimp you are not.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote