View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
It seems that a condition needs to seem 'sad' for the general public to show any interest. Like those commercials on TV that show the injured, abused puppies, who couldn't feel sad for them, or the commercials with the children dying of starvation, who wouldn't want to donate money.

This is a big issue in autism funding, were there are all kinds of celebrities and big organizations like Autism Speaks, generating a massive amount of money for autism research. Who wouldnt feel for the hellish world that a child with autism lives in, just a little more money might release this child from the nightmare.
The problem is, that 99% of autism funding goes towards finding a cure and help for children.
Almost non of it goes towards helping adults with autism, who are thought of negatively, if thought of at all by the general population.
A child with autism makes people sympathetic, while a adult with autism makes people uncomfortable
I think you miss the point though .

If it was crowd sourced then sufferers could contribute directly and have a sense sense of intimacy through a more " DIY " approach rather than not being given a choice.

The money contributed would be shown as it accumulated , and we would have input as it happened so there options for us as community to explore
instead of it all being decided by businessmen ,politics and other agendas.

Does it matter how the general public respond - yes , but if every pn sufferer was contributing even $1 a month towards something they felt connected too , I bet they'd be willing to give more , and I bet we could raise enough to get a lot more done provided we had a good enough research team - and got results.

m

as " A POTENTIAL CURE !! "
melon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote