View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 02:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face Be careful about meds your daughter is taking until...

[QUOTE=emom;860779]My daughter is 16 and has had an obvious anxiety problem that's been identifiable for at least 5 years. She was put on Zoloft at first and that did seem to help, but at the same time had been diagnosed with ADHD.
She also had to discontinue her ADHD meds last year because it became apparent that they were causing her anxiety to go through the roof.

Hi emom,
My daughter is also 16 and just diagnosed with bipolar II disorder, after 2 1/2 years of new issues constantly arising. My daughter was also told at first that she had depression/anxiety issues (rather than BPD) and ADD.
I am still learning myself, but wanted to let you know one thing I've learned that can help you. Antidepressants, as well as stimulants used to treat ADHD can trigger manic or depressive symptoms (or both) in BPD people, as well as make the condition permanently worse. (Which may be why your daughter had the reaction she did to her ADHD medicine)
I would seek another psychiatrist, and before making an appointment, ask them if they regularly see/treat patients with bipolar disorder. I am reading a very helpful book I also highly suggest (super easy to read and understand, written by a Doctor) called "The Bipolar Handbook for Children, Teens, and Families" by Wes Burgess. I'm only on chapter 5, but its really helping me understand and (hopefully better prepared). I don't know about you, but I feel totally isolated by this, and by the constant crisis', and the trouble my daughter gets in and its resulting consequences; I'm hoping understanding will help...
Prayers for you both,
MK
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (05-22-2012), Dmom3005 (05-22-2012)