View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug7 View Post
I understand when u get backpay u have to spend it down or it's considered an asset are there rules to what u can buy for example my aunt lives in San Francisco needs groceries can I get her a gift card ?am I able to buy a car? Thanks for info
SSI is a form of public assistance, and if you are approved, you will receive a booklet explaining what rules are attached to spending SSI funds.

Regarding your aunt, the Bay Area has many programs available for those that need help. If she doesn't qualify for food stamps, then she should research other food share programs locally. If she is in a worse financial situation than you, even after receiving some SSI backpay, then she will likely be able to get some help locally. It's kind of you to want to help.

You can also research at the SSA.gov website or post a new thread on the SSI/SSDI forum on this website.

BTW, if you live in CA as well, the state may match your monthly SSI cash benefit. (Some states match a percentage as well.)

Good luck.

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 05-22-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Figured out you were inquiring about your own benefits from a different thread
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote