View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Ruthven78,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your rough concussion history.

You don't mention your main symptoms other than difficulty staying focused and memory.

With the myriad of tests and NPA's you've had, you should have lots of interesting information. Psychologists and NeuroPsychs are known to often have a bias against PCS.

If you could post more information about your symptoms and possibly NPA results, I could explain some of the diagnosis and possible misdiagnosis.

The lack of imaging is not uncommon. Most of the CT's done are to protect the doctor. Without symptoms that indicate a more serious injury, you were treated like most concussions.

A PET or SPECT will not likely show much either unless you hold to Dr Amen's ideas of SPECT imaging.

I've had multiple MRI's, an MRI/MRA, and a SPECT. Nothing remarkable observed.

If you want to forward your NPA reports and scales to me privately, I can give you some ideas to consider. If you left click on my name, there should be a PM and email link. If not, let me know and I will find a way to contact you.

I agree with the quiet sterile environment of NeuroPsych Assessments. They do not show a real life environment. I had my first NPA in an environment with visual and auditory distractions and the NP was dumbfounded when I complained or reacted to them. He did not understand my struggles. The second was in a sterile environment. I did a little bit better but not by much.

Both NP's exposed their bias against organic brain injury and tried to say I was malingering. I score almost perfect on the non-malingering tests and they chose to ignore that test.

So, NPA's need to be understood in the context of bias and other mitigating issues.

I assume you are a female by your screen name. If so, have you had any hormone analysis done? It can also be helpful.

btw, If you have been not earning more than $1080 per month, go ahead and get an SSDI application started. They can take a while depending on your local office case load. Mine took almost 3 years to get approved.

More later after you have posted more about your symptoms.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote