View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegirl View Post
I watched it and was very disappointed.* Once again, Paula Abdul made us RSD sufferers look bad.* She described how she got rsd after several accidents.* She was almost afraid to even say rsd, she kept saying nerve pain.* She was pretty avoidant about her past with pain and sleeping meds.* With rsd, she was still flying around the world performing and dancing.* Sounds kind of fishy, or maybe she had an extremely mild case.* Paula described what her pain felt like and honestly it sounded more like regular nerve pain, not rsd....but who knows.* A manor red flag for me was that she said ice is her friend and she used to even sleep with it on!!!!!!* We all know ice causes damage and is also completely intolerable for someone with rsd.....not soothing!!* Dr Oz had a display that lit up showing nerve responses and it was pretty misleading in that pain from your arm from example, would cause pain throughout your entire body.* He way he explained it made it sound like its more like fibromyalgia.* She said food was the key to her remission.* She took omega 3, b12, avoided alcohol and nicotine....and ate plant based foods when her nerve pain was bad.* She mentioned stress from being around Simon Cowell on American Idol and X Factor.* Paula taled about her rsd like it was in her pasf, but never said she was in remission, so i dont know her status.* She said "You can undo damage by really taking care of yourself."....speaking of vitamins and diet.* She mentioned she goes in rsd chat rooms and forums.* Paula never mentioned the struggles of other rsd patients and the horrible treatments that we undergo to tame this beast.* It sounded like its nothing you cant fix with a few vitamins and some lettuce!!!!* It just made rsd look very minor and that its not life changing.* I commend her for speaking out, as she has always been ashamed of having rsd....but i think today she did more harm than good as far as rsd awareness goes.* It portrayed it completely falsely!!! So disappointing!!!
I think the problem with any of these doctor shows is that unless it is an entire hour long episode dedicated to RSD you really aren't going to get anything beyond the very superficial. It's disappointing to us who have and really understand the condition from our own experience...but in 10 minutes you can barely touch on RSD. It is a bit misleading if someone were to see it and think it's that easy to control RSD but if anyone were to actually read almost ANYTHING about RSD they would get a whole different picture.

My expectations were probably just low to begin with that I thought it was okay aside from the ice reference. More like what you would expect if you were describing RSD to a stranger on the street who asks what is wrong with you. Paula is not the most articulate person and while I don't think she did a great job discussing her RSD experience at least she did create some awareness about it by coming on the show. Many of her fans will look up RSD now and it will be that many more people familiar with the condition.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-03-2012)