View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
Does anyone know if autoimmune diseases lower our immune systems.
Hi Hopeful,

I don't know if any autoimmune diseases themselves (there are many different ones) lower the immune system per se, but as I understand it...

Quote:
Autoimmune diseases arise from an inappropriate immune response of the body against substances and tissues normally present in the body. In other words, the immune system mistakes some part of the body as a pathogen and attacks its own cells.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_disease
Some medications prescribed/given for treatment of autoimmune diseases (immunosuppressive drugs) work by suppressing the immune system, so that it won't attack healthy tissue, and the diseased tissue (or infection, etc.) can heal on its own, albeit more slowly than when aided by the immune system.

Quote:
A common side-effect of many immunosuppressive drugs is immunodeficiency, because the majority of them act non-selectively, resulting in increased susceptibility to infections and decreased cancer immunosurveillance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunosuppressive_drug
The result of this is that it's the medications that lower/weaken the immune system.

This doesn't rule out the possibility that some autoimmune diseases may suppress or weaken the immune system directly.

HTH,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (05-28-2012)