View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Myasthenia Gravis & leaky gut syndrome?

Hello there,

my name is Natacha, I am 33 years old, and I just found out about this forum so I decided to join it. I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis in 2005 after a few months of occasional, then more regular symptoms which included weakness/muscle failing and fatigue in arms and legs and occasional muscle tingling. I was lucky: my first neurologist realized it was MG after only three visits, as I tested serum positive and responded to Mestinon immediately. I had a thymectomy conducted in early 2006 and my symptoms have been more or less stable (not better or worse than before the thymectomy) ever since. I take Mestinon 3-4x daily. Apart from the symptoms mentioned above, occasionally I get drooping eye lids. And muscle pain or "burn", which is the symptom I would like to ask a question about.

Has anyone here experienced, or heard of a relationship between MG and the so-called leaky gut syndrome? I have always assumed that the pain was part of the myasthenia symptoms, although my neurologist always said that it wasn't a "standard" symptom. At about the same time as my MG appeared, I had my first vaginal thrush, which I treated with creams and didn't ponder any further. At the start of this year, though, I got thrush without taking antibiotics, so after researching Candida albicans, one month ago I commenced strict dietary changes and treatments with natural antifungals & probiotics (following recommendations of a candida forum), also hoping that this might clear my sinuses, which have been blocked for 17 years now! It was in this forum that I first heard of the "leaky gut syndrome", and when I read about the muscle pain description, it sounded extremely familiar! Leaky gut seems to be related to many auto-immune diseases, although I didn't find any specific mention of MG. It would be great to hear your opinion and comments on this matter. I have ordered a leaky gut test kit in the mail, hopefully in a couple of weeks time I will know more about it.

thanks!
nai16 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote