Thread: Fentanyl Patch
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Afraid to start patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzpinkiepie View Post
Hello! Its been a while since my last post as I have really been struggling just to maintain my daily duties but I have a quick question and hope that someone actually replies....

I was recently started on a fentanyl patch originally at 25 mcg then quickly raised to 50 mcg. I am having some strange symptoms that im not sure are related to the patch or maybe just the disorders since more pop up every day it seems.

Anyhow, I have been experiencing lightheadedness, dizziness, heart palps, increased anxiety attacks, severe pain, redness, and heat at patch location, extreme sweating and/or cold sweats....I have discovered that wearing my patch outside in the heat increases the symptoms so I have started removing the patch when I know I will get overheated but when I do I have an overall feeling of pain, nausea, hot/cold sweats, and just an overwhelming sense of...dread...

Ive been reading up on this patch and have come across some horror stories and honestly im pretty nervous to continue using the patch. However, the patch does seem to help with the perpetual pain...although its not a huge help any bit of relief is still relief!

PLEASE tell me your experience with this drug and if there is anything I can do to help ease the symptoms...Ive heard of different patch placement, using tape to help adhere the patch vs not using tape, etc....ANY advise would be very welcomed!! Thanks and God Bless!

I've just been prescribed Fentanyl 25 MCG/HR PATCH for chronic OA because Hydrodrcodone 10/325 hasn't worked, taking 1-2 pills every 6 hours with Tranadol when pain breaks in between. The hydro were starting to effect my stomach. I have missed many family functions because of the pain. I have a daughter who was steaming at me over the phone because I missed Mother's Day because I was having a bad morning and they were getting together at 10:30. Now anyone with arthritis knows mornings are hard.
When I went to my Dr. (I see him every month and he doesn't even charge me because of financial hardship), I explained about my pain still being terrible and not having a life. I'mnot a candidate for surgery. I was told back in 2003, I need double knee replacement. I have no insurance, so even if they would do the surgery, I can't afford it. I have bone on bone with bone spurs all over the knees.
After reading many post concerning the patch, I'm afraid I may be biting off more than I can chew. I have such a sensitivity to drugs, that I'm afraid to even start the patch. The withdraws scares the Bageezees out of me. Any comments? Sorry this is so long.

I feel for all of you going through this pain. People who don't have this problem, just don't understand how miserable we feel, as if we enjoy not doing all the things we use to. Very sad. :-( ~ crying as I write this.
Cappy1234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote