View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi NervousMess,

Most people are afraid or apprehensive to get in the dental chair. Even those of us who work in the profession don't look forward to it! So fear, anxiety, even terrified are all very common issues that are dealt with in every dental office. So hopefully you will find some comfort in knowing that you are not alone in feeling this way.

I assume you know about the cyst because you went to the dentist and it showed on an x-ray?

There are all kinds of stories to read about wisdom teeth removal on the internet. MOST of the time, the surgery goes fine and there are no complications. Some ways to cut down on post op complications are...... be as healthy as possible going into the surgery.....prepare your post op diet ahead of time with a nutritious soft food diet rich in protein, which you will be eating for about 2 weeks .... religiously follow the post op instructions given to you by the surgeon... and be able to just relax for 2-3 days after the surgery.

The problems with leaving a wisdom tooth in the mouth that has developed a cyst around it is that the area can become overwhelmed with infection which could compromise the adjacent teeth and jawbone. If it is a lower tooth, the infection can cause a huge swelling that could close off your airway. If it is an upper tooth, the infection could infect the sinuses and beyond.

So it is wise to seriously consider the risks associated with leaving this tooth in the mouth. If you are at all in doubt about removing it, get a second opinion from a different oral surgeon.

I know this is scary.... but you are definitely not alone, your situation is dealt with every day in every dental office so we do understand and most offices take your fears and concerns into consideration.

Please let us know how you're doing...

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousMess View Post
Hi everyone. I'm, perhaps due to some unpleasant experiences when much younger, terrified of pain and dental complications. I've also recently developed a cyst due to an impacted lower wisdom tooth and have read so many, countless really, horror stories regarding complications due to dry socket. Also, I've some TMJ and sinus issues and my grandmother essentially died of trigeminal neuralgia.

What I'm wondering is this - is there any other way to address/monitor the cyst created by my molar other than removal of said molar? I'm so terrified from all the stories that I cannot bring myself to schedule an extraction.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote