Thread: worms, anyone?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yeah, I don't think that growing up "too clean" caused my MG either. I've been looking into the helmenthic therapy idea a bit. The hypothesis is that the worms secrete a substance that mildly suppresses the immune system--to stop the immune system from attacking them! Someone explained it this way: imagine a tug-of-war game with a rope. Both sides are pulling with all their might. Then one side suddenly lets go. What happens?

The idea is that our immune systems have developed to fight off all sorts of worms and germs that we don't have to fight off any more because of modern hygiene (that's the side that let go). Now our immune systems are pulling hard on the rope, while the other side has let go.

Helminthic therapy is EXPERIMENTAL and SPECULATIVE, though there are some promising studies, and yep, you have to go to Mexico, because hookworms aren't USDA approved. And I'm sure it's risky. Then again, so are Imuran and Prednisone. If it were cheap and nearby, I might consider it, because the worms can't reproduce inside your body, and if you change your mind and decide to evict your pets, there are effective anti-parasite drugs.

Bottom line: I don't think I'll be headed to Mexico for this treatment. I would want a local doctor to monitor me (and I have a strong feeling my neuro wouldn't be willing...). I guess I'll wait until they figure out what those worms are secreting, and how to synthesize it. But, I wouldn't say that someone who tries it is crazy.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote